The Seafreight Manager will manage the Seafreight team for his/her assigned territory and be responsible for that territories Seafreight compliance, levels of working capital, quality outcomes to internal and external stakeholders, volume and revenue growth, yield, and operating efficiency.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Directly or indirectly manages all seafreight department staff within assigned territory
• Ensures all seafreight operations within assigned territory are compliant to internal HWL policies and external government regulations
• Ensures seafreight working capital targets are met within assigned territory especially targets set for days payables outstanding (DPO) (with sea product vendors) and days sales outstanding DSO (especially on pass-through items)
• Maintains accurate costing, revenue estimates, rating, invoicing, and correction (where necessary) to invoices, process, or people to minimize WIP, DSO, and Bad Debt
• Ensures sea product operations within assigned territory meet internal HWL and external customer quality goals per Customer Standard Operating Procedure (CSOP)
• Ensures sea product operations meet minimum customer service levels at minimal cost to HWL through effective procurement and routing
• Meets expected volume and top line sea product revenue growth targets for assigned territory
• Ensures sea product yield is within target range at both a customer level and in aggregate for assigned territory
• Works with peers and senior management, tender management, and sales to measure, sell, and procure market competitive rates for market competitive services.
• Ensures all assigned department employees are trained, certified, and re-certified periodically on sea product SOPs and Quality Management System
• Ensures all financial and quality controls and audits are completed accurately and on-time
• Makes available to sales and Network Partners via a database market competitive general tariffs to assist them with accurately and quickly pricing freight all kind (FAK) low and medium volume HWL opportunities
• Holds Sales, and one’s own team accountable to develop clear and concise CSOPs Customer Specific Operating document(s) and certifications. Validates seafreight staff understand and comply with CSOPs. Consults with Sales prior to their agreeing to non-standard services and/or pricing
• Works with Sales to effectively explain HWL sea product analytics including trend drivers and to develop business recommendations to customers to save money, reduce costs, or improve reliability
• Trains and coaches sales personnel on external market opportunities or threats, internal strengths and weaknesses, and how to effectively gain market share from HWL competitors on a case by case level or in aggregate
• Takes ownership of and professionally manages customer escalations in conjunction with Sales
• Understands, measures, analyzes, and improves critical to quality external (ref. CSOP) or internal (ref. SOP) KPIs
• Acts as seafreight product subject matter expert when communicating with customers in a variety of settings
• Responsible at times for role of executive sponsor for key customers within assigned territory
• Leads or participates in corrective actions as necessary to mitigate the likelihood of revenue or profit loss when business is at risk
• Provide timely and accurate analysis to internal and external stakeholders as agreed with respect to assigned sea product and territory
• Ensure performance goals are set, performance is measured, and regular informal and formal feedback is provided to direct reports within assigned department
• Monitors and manages staffing levels and workload allocation across all sea product teams within assigned territory. This includes talent acquisition, furloughing, re-purposing, re-shifting, demotion, promotion, and severance
• Develops team and individuals within the team. Responsible for succession planning at agent, supervisor, and one’s own level
• Verifies the accuracy and timeliness of seafreight budgeting and forecasting
• Manages vendors or transportation service provider (TSP) relationships within assigned sea product territory or as agreed with functional up-line and to develop strategic partnerships as necessary to differentiate HWL sea product competitiveness
• Ensures the quality of cross-docking, consolidation, deconsolidation, and other sea product specific activities occurring either in a HWL or 3rd party warehouse. Assists District or Branch Managers with selecting, measuring, and managing HWL or 3rd party warehouses
• Manages the quality of all sea product vendors and to ensure business continuity in the event a vendor is unable to perform
• Performs other duties as assigned
This position supervises up to twelve (12) full time employees and may supervise temporary employees from time to time based on projects.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree (Business, Logistics and Supply Chain, Transportation, or associate field), or equivalent work experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience will be considered in lieu of educational requirement
• 7-10 years minimum seafreight experience
• 3-5 years minimum supervisory experience
• Completion of any industry related course is an asset
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
• Financial acumen – understands business drivers
• Results-oriented – drives strategy and execution
• Leadership – demonstrates professionalism
• Organizational skills
• Time management and prioritization
• Adaptable / flexible to high-pressured environment
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Email, and Internet
• Proficient in world geography, shipping documentation, and Incoterms preferred
• Strong written and verbal communication skills in English in order to present information to customers, management, and subordinates in a professional setting
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as freight rates, discounts, and other percentages
• Analytical skills / problem-solving ability
• Coaching skills – able to train, coach, and develop subordinates
• Frequently required to stand, and walk
• Regularly required to sit for extended periods
• Regularly uses arms to reach, hands and fingers for computer and phone use
• Speaking clearly and listening for heavy phone contact
• Requires close-up and computer screen distance vision ability
• Requires occasional overnight travel
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics are similar of those of an office setting with various office equipment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.