Title: Regional Air Freight Director – Central US
Location: Chicago, IL (ORD)
DHL Global Forwarding (DGF) manages the flow of goods and information across a customer’s global supply chain utilizing air/ocean/ground transportation, customs brokerage services, and dedicated warehousing/distribution centers. We are part of Deutsche Post DHL, the world’s leading logistics provider with operations in over 220 countries. Visit our career site on the web at https://www.logistics.dhl/us-en/home/careers.html
The Regional Air Freight Director supports the execution of the airfreight strategy, provides airfreight expertise and monitors all air freight related activities performed at station level to effectively manage the end to end airfreight process. This role also ensures optimization of airfreight transaction operations in line with customer requirements to deliver a cost/effective execution.
- Point of contact for OPS and Service Quality related issues (e.g. customer complaints / escalations, exception management, shipment irregularities, service recovery, etc.)
- Supports local process enhancements and ensures compliance of global improvement initiatives and standard procedures.
- Contributes to country air freight product agenda and projects/initiatives.
- Supports execution of Gross Profit Improvement Program in country.
- Communicate implications of regional and country airfreight policies/guidelines and support training with stations and gateways
- Support business development and tactical opportunity conversion by providing operational expertise and ensuring operational customer requirements are met
- Support development and drive implementation of new solutions/services incl. sector specific solutions
- Supports Spot Quote Pricing strategy
- Support and drives compliance to KPIs, with special focus on timely responding to requests
- Ensures adherence to guidelines and standards established by Pricing group
- Supports and drives adherence to usage of tools and sources as defined by Pricing group
- Drive cargo optimization in air/cartage vendors
- Assists with airline relationship building, and local rate negotiation
- Enables and facilitates efficient service delivery than meets or exceeds customer expectations.
- Coordinate with AFR colleagues to ensure prompt issue resolution
- Contribute to ensure achievement of business growth, revenue & profitability.
- Ensure compliance of stations & gateways with global and regional airfreight policies and guidelines.
- Ensure compliance of stations & gateways with customer SOPs.
- Contributes to lessons learnt.
- Ability to influence decisions/actions by providing value-added feedback into the organization/function and country management.
- Minimum 10 years professional experience in freight forwarding airfreight operations (i.e. handling, documentation, clearance) strongly preferred
- Experienced in in-house applications preferred, e.g., CargoWise, FSI3, COSS
- Computer skills (i.e. Microsoft Office tools, intermediate level in Excel)
- Assertive and able to influence others, communications skills, team player.
- High Level of commitment, very dynamic, project management skills.
- Sensitive to urgency and able to work/keep focus under pressure.
- Highly organized, project management tools and expertise.
- Analytical skills, detailed oriented.
- People management skills
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
WHY JOIN our DHL team?
At DHL, you will be part of a strong team that respects its’ employees, society, and environment. You will interact with people from all over the world and get the chance to experience the unique international spirit of DHL. We offer benefits and programs to help you manage your time at and away at work to achieve a healthy work/life balance. DHL offers highly competitive compensation, incentive, and bonus plans.
In addition, DHL offers the following:
- Paid time off: Holiday, Float Holiday, Vacation, and Sick
- Medical, Prescription, Dental, and Vision plans
- 401K plan with a match
- Employee Discount plan
- Tuition Assistance Plan
As the world’s leading logistics’ company, DHL offers a wide range of interesting job challenges and opportunities in our different divisions around the globe. Our performance management system supports us in recognizing your potential, evaluating your performance, and continuously planning the development of your career with DHL. We will always enable you to take on responsibility and encourage your growth, personally and professionally.
We are proud of our history and what we have created, a global market leader with 30,000 passionate employees. Our aspiration is to become the undisputed leader in our industry, when people think of forwarding; we want them to think DGF, because we have:
- The largest global network with more than ~30,000 passionate employees
- The most efficient processes and fastest response times
- The best solutions and best customer service
Our Vision: The Logistics Company for the World
Our Mission: Excellence. Simply Delivered.
Our Purpose: We connect people, improving their lives.
Our Values: Respect & Results
Our Goals: Employer, Provider, and Investment of Choice, Living Responsibility