This position is a part of Expeditors Government Services team. This position owns responsibility for the day-to-day tactical execution of compliant freight operations for the US Government (USG) and Department of Defense (DOD). Manages a team responsible for providing operational support and guidance to Expeditors district offices and the network gateways. Assists in management of our chosen providers to ensure services, cost, and performance meet contractual obligations within applicable regulations.
- Leads an operations team dedicated to moving freight (Air, Ocean, Trucking) for the USG and DOD.
- Actively monitors US Government and other bid boards for viable transportation opportunities.
- Requests pricing from branches on optimal routes.
- Responds to bids with accurate pricing.
- Subject matter expertise in applicable guidance and regulations governing USG and DOD transportation (MFTURP-1, DTR Part II, DOT 49 CFR, etc…).
- Initiates transportation and deliveries with Expeditors branches. Ensure branches and service providers meet contractual requirements.
- Ensures shipments are hitting core transportation milestones and metrics to meet required delivery dates.
- Ensures all customer standard operating procedures are documented and kept up to date
- Initiates necessary approvals for ITAR shipments.
- Manages the daily workflows monitoring all shipments in transit from freight receipt through delivery.
- Verify service providers are approved to move USG shipments, and complete the necessary steps to get them approved when needed.
- Identify shipments at risk of meeting contracted transit times and trouble shoot routing solutions to improve final ETA as necessary. Escalate and communicate with the DOD customers as necessary.
- Maintain an internal performance scorecard to trend and analyze network performance around customer specific quality metrics.
- Support “critical shipments” – identified specific shipments that require higher levels of care/ attention.
- Act as a source of customer service escalation, available to the customer through e-mail and phone to support with any inquiries related to both status as well as the data elements mentioned, per contractual obligations.
- Drive, coordinate and report on opportunities to improve quality, service, cost reduction, through the pursuit of efficiency and consistency.
- Produce expected results in line with corporate standards through improved processes, visibility to performance, data governance, and exception management.
- Assist managers in building and maintaining strong relationships with vendors and service providers.
- Oversee and guide local efforts to drive and enhance Expeditors’ strategic initiatives.
- Provide tactical and ongoing training to district offices and gateway operations on USG transportation and handling requirements.
- Daily reporting submission
- Daily invoice submission
- Invoicing reconciliation and resubmission
The scope of services during quarter-end peaks will, in addition to the above, include:
- Lead daily quarter end conference calls, engagement and workshops and 24/7 support as needed.
- Production and distribution of all customer required reporting.
- Relationship building with USG and DOD personnel.
- Ensure shipments are compliant with all applicable laws and regulations.
Please note the location of this job is flexible. Preference will be given to those in the following metropolitan areas: Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Orlando, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa, and US National-Capital Region.
Experience & Education:
- 6+ Years working directly with Department of Defense freight operations.
- 5+ years working in Airfreight, Ocean, and Domestic trucking operations.
- 6+ Years directly managing and leading teams
- Demonstrated experience managing pickups and deliveries to US military bases.
- Demonstrated experience working with applicable guidance and regulations governing US Government and Department of Defense transportation (MFTURP-1, DTR Part II, DOT 49 CFR, etc…).
- Thorough knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations Supplement (DFARS) and related federal and state legislation and regulations.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, specifically PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to ensure complex issues are received and understood both internally and externally.
- Effective leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field.
- Must be a United States Citizen.
- Licensed Customs Broker (preferred).
- US Military Experience—US Veteran or GS experience (preferred).
- Worked on a Civil Reserve Air Fleet program (carrier or agent).
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- Experience with Syncada (US Bank freight payment system)
Expeditors offers excellent benefits:
- Paid Vacation, Holiday, Sick Time
- Health Plan: Medical, Prescription Drug, Dental and Vision
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan (US only)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Training and Personnel Development Program