The Export Agent facilitates the shipment of cargo via Ocean transport The Ocean Export Agent is responsible for managing and operating the shipment lifecycle for their assigned accounts. They are responsible to ensure customer requirements are met and answered accurately and timely. They are accountable for executing and overseeing tasks for each shipment in addition to daily communication, reporting, and email management. The Ocean Export Agent assumes ownership of their accounts’ success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Maintain Operational Excellence
- Communicate with carriers, origin and destination locations regarding shipment status, special handling and delivery processes.
- Understand the processes, documentation, and terminology involved in international shipping from time of purchase order issuance through the delivery of the cargo.
- Understand and input applicable financial components of shipments to generate correct billing for customers.
- Apply industry knowledge and critical thinking to adapt processes/create solutions in response to challenges both internally and externally
- Execute/Coordinate tasks on the shipments to meet both customer and Yusen SOP requirements: booking approvals, processing pre-alerts, governmental filings(FMC/NRA,AES, AFR,etc), executing delivery, ensuring proper invoicing, etc.
- Create, maintain, and update shipments in our system “Yunas” based on CargoWise, ensuring accurate data
- Provides track and trace service to customers and generates shipment documents
- Ensure a high-level of data integrity within the shipments: acknowledgement of shipment details, INCOterms, routing, dates, documents, etc.
- Builds great relationships with customers, responding timely and following up on issue resolution
- Communicate clearly, timely, and effectively with customers/agents, CHR offices, and Outside Vendors
- Review standard operating procedures to ensure compliance, TSA, Quality Assurance Standards, TAPA, and IMDG.
- May be responsible for special shipments involving perishables (live animals, cherries, or any temperature controlled/reefer shipment, etc.) and/or be in charge of special accounts.
- Report anomalies in operations and new customer requirements to management for decisions on additional service requirements.
- In some locations, Export Agents may be required to load and unload trucks, use forklift, package and palletize cargo and complete other assigned warehouse and inventory tasks.
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma and or GED; Three (3) years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Prior work experience in logistics/freight forwarding industry is preferred.
- Basic to intermediate experience using Windows operating system and Microsoft software applications is required
- Must possess excellent customer service skills with the ability to grasp extensive knowledge while dealing with a variety of people.
- Must have strong organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of air/ocean space configurations; air/ocean container loads; special loading constraints; certificate for handling hazardous materials.
- Reading of international and domestic OAG.
- Ability to read, analyse and interpret verbal and written requests and directions.
- Must have the ability to compose letters, memos, emails and other written documentation clearly and concisely.
- Be able to present one’s self in a highly cooperative and professional manner when meeting both internal and external customers and vendors face to face.
- Must have working knowledge of Windows operating system and be comfortable working with Microsoft software applications (i.e., Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Payment frequency ▵ Annual
- Salary currency ▵ USD
- Job town/city ▵ Torrance