The International Operations Agent facilitates the shipping of cargo via air and/or ocean transport. Responsible for executing all functions related to the successful operation of this position and to provide excellent customer service with continual improvement in mind. Experience required is at least three (3) years in both export and import operations and can be relied upon as having expertise in export and import compliance. Will be expected to handle complex shipments (i.e. licensed, live/perishable shipments).
- Competitive salary
- Profit sharing program
- Medical, dental and vision
Essential Duties And Responsibilities:
- Take booking requests, ensure bookings are made at current and accurate rates, consolidate shipments and follow local policies concerning the routing of shipments in the most cost-effective and time-efficient route.
- Communicate effectively with carriers, origin and destination locations regarding shipment status, special handling and delivery processes.
- Ensure current buying/selling rates are set up for all international shipments handled before making necessary bookings.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of documentation – review and verify documentation and obtain any missing documentation (power of attorney, commercial invoice, packing list, export licenses, SLIs, routed transaction letters, etc.)
- Assist with the drafting of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP). Upon management approval of SOPs, ensure that each specific account SOP is in place and followed.
- Proactively notify customers of any delays regarding export of their cargo. Reports customer complaints escalate shipping problems to management and participate in problem resolution.
- Provide support in ensuring compliance with all international shipments – implement regulatory compliance procedures as required.
- Handle special shipments involving perishables, dangerous goods, State / Treasury / Commerce department regulated shipments, and/or special accounts.
- Ensure files are organized, complete, and closed in a timely manner
- Provide assistance to other department team members in daily work interactions – to identify, organize and coordinate customer shipping requirements; to prepare documents accurately and efficiently.
- Assist International Agents in creating solutions to simplify and expedite cargo flow
- Review SOP’s and provide training as needed.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma plus 3 years of international operations and compliance experience is required.
- Dangerous goods or other regulatory certification is preferred.
- Intermediate experience using Windows operating system and Microsoft software applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook is required