“We are not in the shipping business we’re in the information business”
-Peter Rose, Expeditors Founder
As a Fortune 500 company, Expeditors employs more than 16,000 trained professionals in a worldwide network of over 329 locations across six continents. Expeditors satisfies the increasingly sophisticated needs of international trade through customize solutions and seamless, integrated information systems. Our services include the consolidation and forwarding or air or ocean freight. Customs brokerage, vendor consolidation, cargo insurance, time-define transportation. Order and risk management, warehousing. distribution and customized logistics solutions. Expeditors is headquartered in Seattle, Washington.
The Compliance Support Specialist must proactively assist in enforcing Expeditors brokerage operational import/export standards, policies and procedures. Supports our Vision and Mission Statement, making our promise real to all our employees and customers.
•Monitor service execution within the Compliance department, assisting our relentless pursuit of efficiency and operational excellence:
•Performance: Ensure oversight, including self-assessments and daily, weekly and monthly performance monitoring so that issues (root cause) are resolved proactively.
•Exception: Review all exceptions to drive efficiency internally (controlled).
•Actively participate in the optimization of systems and tools and continuously improve the efficiency, productivity and quality of the service. Set the tone of this environment within your department.
•Weekly/Monthly meetings with the department’s team to monitor the Compliance processes.
•Ensure branch implementation of all products’ SOP procedures related to Import/Export Customs regulatory compliance.
•Ensure strong knowledge and proper use of all Expeditors systems and tools as applicable.
•Prevent late files/payments by ensuring proper use of the statement management reports
•Review all the Powers of Attorney received by the branch for validity, and review attached Importer Questionnaire for completeness.
•Monitor Customs rejections (7501) report. Report results to the U.S. and Canada Customs Compliance Manager in the annual Self-Audit. Drive training topics from results.
•Assist Branch Compliance Manager with ensuring the monitoring reports are reviewed timely.
•Conduct daily reviews via IDMA (Import Daily Monitoring Application) and EDMA (Export Declaration Monitoring Application) in accordance with Expeditors’ Import/Export Daily Monitoring Program
•Monitor AES Errors- Compliance Alerts
•Respond to Census Verification Requests
•Ensure personnel processing Department of State (DOS) shipments are qualified
•Attend Monthly Export/Import Customs Compliance Conference Calls
•Facilitate and report government agency visits to Regional and CHQ Compliance in accordance with Expeditors’ Government Visit Guidelines.
•Attend local government agency meetings and seminars, as requested by supervisor.
•Work with Brokerage department to promote how Expeditors’ Customs compliance structure drives savings and efficiencies for customers.
•Monitor and improve key departmental District Excellence related to Compliance
•Escalate necessary issues to Branch Compliance Manager
•Ensure that branch employees are kept up to date on Customs and PGA related developments: Partnered Governments Agencies, Customs Pipeline or Bulletins, HTSUSA, Customs info and Explanatory Notes
•Prepare and hold training sessions on a regular basis for the Import/Export personnel
•Topics should be based on the following:
Issues apparent on Customs rejection Spreadsheet
Problems discovered during the daily reviews (IDMA/EDMA)
New Customs/Partnered Government Agencies (PGA) developments and procedures
Facilitate Export Customs Compliance Specialist Certification in the Branch
•Support sales staff and Brokerage Import/Export Manager in new business development, as needed.
To be the most effective in this position we are looking for the following skills and experience:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Customs Brokerage License preferred or willing to pursue Customs Brokerage license
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Import/Export Brokerage
- Must complete Export Compliance Specialist Certification within 1st two years in the position.
- Experience interacting with government agencies
- Must complete trainings to be a Certified Import Clearance Specialist (CICS) within the 1st six months in the position.
- Must complete trainings to be a Certified Export Clearance Specialist (CECS) within the 1st year in the position.
- Must complete trainings to be TSA Certified within the 1st two years in the position
- Strong computer skills, including knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications
- MS Office – Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, One Note
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Will not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status (for example, H-B, or other employment-based visa statuses).
- Fluency in both English and Spanish is required.
Additional Skills Set Expectations
- Customer Satisfaction oriented
- Work well in Teams
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, ability to communicate at all levels written and oral communication and presentations.
- Ability to relate and influence employees at all levels.
- Leadership skills
- Organization and Time Management skills
- Problem solving and business analytical skills.
- Ability to complete work within standard procedures, guidelines and office policies.
- Self-driven personality and good business sense are expected.
- Commitment to Exemplify our culture at all times.
- Aptitude to take ownership on assigned projects
- Ability to develop skills necessary to create trainings
- Hands on knowledge of Operational Process Standards desk procedures (OPS)
- Strong understanding of 19 CFR (Parts 1 – 199) and the HTSUSA
- Strong understanding of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR).
- Research skills, problem solving and follow-up skills
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.