The primary duty of a Freight Forwarder, Ocean Export is to assist with processing ocean export transactions, including all related activities, for an assigned base of accounts. Assist with duties related to document preparation and traffic coordination required to process export shipments. Perform all duties correctly, cost-efficiently, within Company standards, and under the close supervision of the department Supervisor or Manager. This is an entry-level position.
Roles & responsibilities
- Receive, review, and process export documentation for an assigned base of accounts.
- Process and follow Shipper’s Letter of Instructions accurately.
- Prepare and process Delivery Orders, Dock Receipts, Warehouse Work Orders, Ocean Bills of Lading, Insurance Certificates, Certificates of Origin, Consular Documents, Shipper’s Export Declarations, and Customs Invoices through the XXXX system.
- Meet all Company and government deadlines for processing these documents.
- Prepare and/or send advance notification of shipments and documents to banks, shippers, consignees, and destination offices, as required and within Company standards.
- Arrange, book, and confirm cargo space on vessels. Coordinate the ordering of cargo to port.
- Calculate ocean freight rates and marine insurance accurately and according to established procedures.
- Close files and distribute documents in accordance with pertinent requirements and in compliance with export standards.
- Communicate with clients, co-workers, and supervisors in a clear, concise, and timely manner.
- Adhere to all domestic and international shipping regulations.
- Provide excellent and timely customer service, under the close supervision and advice of the department Supervisor or Manager, by informing clients of the status of shipments and referring clients to a higher-level authority when questions are beyond scope of responsibility.
- Advise department Supervisor or Manager of any transaction problems or irregularities.
- Adhere to all company policies, procedures, and guidelines, such as the Code of Conduct, assigned work schedules, and attendance requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must successfully complete, or have completed, on-site systems training by a qualified team member.
- Actively improve knowledge of domestic and international shipping regulations through self-study and attendance at all approved external seminars and at applicable courses and seminars presented or assigned by the Company.
Job skills & specifications
- Very good verbal communication skills and past customer service experience are required, as work includes extensive phone contact with carriers and other parties concerning the ocean export process.
- Very good written communication skills to compose routine letters and to edit and proof business correspondence and reports.
- The ability to organize, prepare, and assemble documents or reports containing data from several sources.
- The ability to use Company-standard software for word processing, spreadsheets, etc., to generate more elaborate reports, charts, and graphs as applicable.
- High School Diploma (or equivalent education)
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
- Past customer service experience is required, as work entails extensive phone contact with carriers and other parties concerning the air import process.
- Utilization of negotiation skills in order to negotiate rates with vendors to secure the best value and best service to maximize profitability.
- Above average written communication skills to compose complex letters regarding issues and resolutions. Must have the ability to edit and proof business correspondence and reports along with the ability to organize, prepare and assemble documents or reports containing data from several sources.
- Excellent analytical skills to recognize, circumvent and resolve problem situations.
- In addition to basic math, must be able to analyse numerical data and understand components and relationships, find patterns and draw conclusions.
- Ability to use Company-standard software for word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel) etc. in order to generate reports, charts and graphs as applicable.
- Ability to comprehend the full range of freight forwarding services: order management, movement scheduling, customs brokerage, monitor and control services, cost optimization, etc.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- To be prepared to learn all aspects of the team’s work with desire and ability to provide cover and assistance on a regular basis
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately
- Excellent communication skills
- Customer focus with proactive attitude
- Candidate should process a desire to progress within the team demonstrating the ability to take on more responsibility in time.
- 2-5 years of previous experience as an Ocean Export Agent/Freight Forwarder.
- 3 years of experience in a role involving extensive client contact.
- Prior use of CargoWise One software.
- Familiarity with domestic and international geography including countries and major cities.
- Payment frequency ▵ Annual
- Salary currency ▵ USD
- Job town/city ▵ Chester