Expeditors International UK LTD – Global logistics provider ( Aberdeen based role)
Expeditors is a career company, our extensive training programmes help develop expertise and build strong and meaningful careers.
Recession and crisis do not last forever, our policy of retaining our workforce when times are tough ensures we maintain our position as an industry leading employer.
This freight and customs agent position will sit within the Customs team which is expanding due to the additional workload that will come with the UK’s departure from the European Union. The role will involve processing of both export and import declarations to and from the European Union for our vast customer base operating within Europe. It will also include the handling of customs declarations on international shipments. Full description below:
Scope of Position:
Ensure the proper and timely movement and clearance of freight, while providing excellent customer service within the Customs Brokerage department.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure smooth and timely customs process flow.
- Ensure accurate and timely client billing.
- Understand all the elements of the import and export customs DLSOP (Desk Level Standard Operating Procedure) and correctly interpret this information to fulfill our customers’ instructions and expectations.
- Ensure attention to detail with accurate and timely data entry into our operating system.
- Transpose customs declaration information from documents, or other sources into the customs entry system to allow for the build of a valid customs declaration.
- Assist with verification of customs declaration information and the submission of such to the customs authority.
- Track and trace Customs files.
- Interact with customs authorities to address any issues/questions arising during the clearing process.
- Attend any customs inspections or present documents to customs authorities when such are requested.
- Act as the liaison between the customs authorities (or other government agencies and customers)
- Ensure timely customs clearance of cargo to customer for Import and Export shipments.
- Verify documents received for Import and Export customs purposes are compliant and correct.
- Interact with our customers in arranging their international shipments, meeting customer service standards.
- Ensure compliance at all times to regulations. This includes internal policies and procedures such as Operational Process Standards (OPS) and external government regulations (eg. OEA) or customer policies / requirements.
- Understand department process flow, constantly looking for areas of improved efficiency.
- Keep up to date on all regulatory requirements governing the import and export of goods. This includes but is not limited to customs procedures for imports and exports, other government agency requirements i.e. health, agricultural, police and military, export controls and prohibited and restricted goods.
- Meet KPI standards, as per the company’s procedures.
- Overseas communications, timely responses to emails and requests (internal and
- 6 months to 1 year related freight/customs experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of customs legislation, especially with regards to classification, valuation and origin.
- Knowledge of air, road and ocean transport documentation
- Knowledge of incoterms
- Effective interpersonal skills, including proven abilities to listen, comprehend, effectively communicate clearly and concisely to obtain positive results.
- Pro-active, strong organizational skills.
- Good computer skills (Excel, Word, etc..)
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
** Must have the right to work in the uk**