Responsible for managing domestic operations (intra-company and customer freight) with a focus on expedited air and land freight services to ensure excellent customer service and profitability. Models and acts in accordance with our guiding principles and core values.
What are you going to do?
- Lead, direct, and oversee the day-to-day domestic operations ensuring that the customers’ requirements are met in a cost effective manner.
- Work corroboratively with station management and sales personnel in the development of pricing structures, quoting and procedures focused on obtaining and retaining customers.
- Develop airline and surface carrier relationships to ensure communications and services provided meet the company’s needs.
- Negotiate local agreements with commitments to tonnage and revenue approved by Corporate.
- Manage the approval of rate quotes or shipment costing for internal and external customers.
- Review, select and continuously evaluate outside vendors providing services to the operation.
- Prepare and approve one time quotes.
- Oversee and approve operational accounts payable discrepancies.
- Ensure compliance with the internal quality policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Ensure prompt and accurate completion of all paperwork associated with movement of inbound and outbound shipments.
- Ensure timely pick-ups, recoveries, deliveries, and airline and agent selection, while maintaining cost controls.
- Manage, supervise and train subordinates in the positions of supervising customer service, data entry, and/or dispatch and warehouse operations.
- Ensure that all personnel are providing a high level of customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Conduct annual performance reviews for all subordinates.
- Address all employee performance problems promptly and directly in accordance with personnel policies.
What are we looking for?
- Ability to read, analyse and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- In-depth knowledge of all products and services. Ability to manage the financial aspects of the department (purchasing, budget preparation and review, financial reporting and monitoring expenses).
- PC Literate. Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office, internet, web-based and job specific applications.
- Capable of communicating and interacting effectively with multi-functional and diverse backgrounds and ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, employees and customers.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills. Allocates decision-making authority and/or task responsibilities to others to maximize the organization’s and individuals’ effectiveness.
- Makes customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; develops and sustains productive relationships.
- Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions.
- Analyses complex problems and develops alternative solutions.
- Explores alternatives and positions to reach outcomes that gain all parties’ support and acceptance.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in influencing departments and implementing and managing change.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage multiple projects and set priorities.
- Basic understanding and experience in project management methodologies.
- Develops and uses collaborative relationships to accomplish work goals; develops individual relationships by listening, sharing ideas and appreciating others’ efforts. Use appropriate methods and a flexible interpersonal style to help build a cohesive team and facilitate the completion of team goals.
- Maintain stable performance under pressure or opposition; handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and the organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills including diplomacy and patience.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Minimum: Minimum five years related experience. Minimum three year supervisory or managerial experience. Some professional certifications may be required in this position.
- Preferred: High School Degree or GED. Bachelor’s Degree in Transportation, Logistics or Supply Chain Management preferred or an equivalent combination of work experience and completion of the LDP Program. Minimum four years industry experience.
What do we have to offer?
With a genuine culture of recognition, we want our employees to grow, develop and be part of our journey. We offer a benefits package with a focus on your wellbeing. This includes competitive Paid Time Off, 401(k), health insurance and an employee benefits platform that offers discounts on gym memberships and a diverse range of retail, travel, car and hospitality brands, including important offerings like pet insurance.
We are a team in every sense, and we support each other and work collaboratively to achieve our goals together.
It is our goal that you will be compensated for your hard work and commitment, so if you’d like to work for one of the top Logistics providers in the world then let’s work together to help you find your new role.
- Payment frequency ▵ Annual
- Salary currency ▵ USD
- Job town/city ▵ Des Plaines