Lead a Customs Team in all operational disciplines involving the entry and clearance of imported goods, ensuring operational excellence and customer satisfaction while safeguarding compliance with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and related government agency regulatory requirements
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor entries processed by team for employee accuracy and compliance by using the Panalpina Compliance Dashboard daily. Perform audit of files in accordance with company standard operating procedures. Determine root cause and implement corrective actions to prevent future occurrence.
- Serve as the operational escalation point for Customs Services Center team
- Ensure compliance with US Customs and Border Protection regulations
- Manage the teams’ workload to ensure timely customs clearances and adherence to mandated KPIs
- Assure the local implementation of USA policies and standardized procedures as outlined in the company’s Integrated Management System (IMS) and k-web, and as directed by the Head of Customs Services, USA.
- Assist with the spot quoting process for customers and/or potential targets
- Draft, implement, and maintain Standard Operating Procedures and Client Profiles, in conjuction with the Sr. Entry writers
- Manage, monitor, and control Customs-related Post-Entry issues including Requests for Information, Notices of Action, post summary corrections, and protests and communicate with Customs and customer. Escalate as necessary to Customs Services Center Manager or Trade Compliance. Create additional revenue streams through the execution of professional services related to post –entry services.
- Assist with Power of Attorney (POA) validation and control process
- Monitor ABI error rate and reject report and implement corrective actions
- Monitor ISF compliance and timeliness and pursue preventive and corrective actions as needed
Customer Service, Retention & Development
- Assure proper information flow with sales on changes and/or issues with external customers, with specific focus on Customs Compliance
- Act as a Customs and Partner Government Agency (PGA) compliance subject matter resource for customer accounts
- Maintain current and prospective customer relationships via visits, quarterly business reviews, and consistent communication
- Participate with the processing of Requests for Information, Requests for Proposals and Tenders
- Visit principle and potential customers as needed
- Contribute in the transition and implementation of new accounts to Customs Services, in conjuction with Sales, the District Head of Customs, Product, and account management
- Meet and periodically review the Key Performance Indicators established by customer Manager compliance with customer SOPs
- Manage customer relationships and ensure optimal customer service by team
- Identify opportunities to add value and scope of services to customer account management adding additional revenue streams
Administrative & Management
- Ensure employees are trained, technically competent and well informed of changes in customer service requirements and regulatory matters. Record and evaluate training and provide adequate cross-training.
- Hold regular operational meetings with the department staff to address operational subjects, questions, concerns, and/or upcoming changes
- Evaluate staff performance on a regular basis and annually through the performance appraisal process
- Maintain continuous improvement processes to increase efficiencies and improve performance to customers
- Increase competency level of all import personnel to ensure quality, compliance and outstanding customer service is provided
- Assist with special projects or assignments, as requested.
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Customs Broker License required
- Extensive knowledge of “Customs business” and technical familiarity with CBP and PGA regulatory requirements.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the Import Process and working environment, including the related systems/applications (ABI, ACS, ACE, Panalpina’s Import System).
- Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on various CBP Compliance topics to local Management, staff, and external customers.
- People Management and Leadership, i.e. Recruitment, Selection, Training & Development, Coaching, Performance Management
- Organizational and Planning Skills (prioritize, plan, assign and control)
- Decision-making capabilities
- Customer focused
- Analytical skills
- Able to work in a diverse environment and culture
- Role model for team attitude and behavior.
- Network and relationship building both with external and internal Customers
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Industry experience
- 2 years preferred leadership experience
- Fluent in English
- Additional languages a plus
Global transport and logistics
We are one of the very best performing companies in the transport and logistics industry. 75,000 employees in more than 90 countries work passionately to deliver great customer experiences and high-quality services – as part of the operation or in a variety of supporting roles. If you have drive and talent and enjoy responsibility, we’ll give you the support you need to explore your potential and forward your career.
- Payment frequency ▵ Annual
- Salary currency ▵ USD
- Job town/city ▵ Atlanta