The Customs Brokerage Manager will manage the product team for his/her assigned department and be responsible for governmental compliance, timely processing of clearances, timely processing of security filings, levels of working capital, quality outcomes to internal and external stakeholders, volume and revenue growth, yield, and operating efficiency. The Customs Brokerage Manager ensures client satisfaction is achieved and company policies adhered to while maximizing profitability for Hellmann.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures that customs and governmental processes, procedures and activities are performed and managed based on global, country specific and port specific governmental regulations.
- Keeps abreast of laws and regulations regarding brokerage compliance and develop specific programs to ensure that personnel are properly trained and equipped with the knowledge to maintain a compliant environment
- Attends local, regional or national training classes or conferences as needed to enhance skills and retain industry knowledge
- Directly or indirectly manages all Customs Brokerage staff within assigned department
- Ensures product working capital targets are met within assigned department especially targets set for days payable outstanding (DPO) (with product vendors) and days sales outstanding (DSO) (especially on pass-through items)
- Performs timely and accurate costing, revenue estimates, rating, and invoicing, to minimize WIP, DSO, and Bad Debt
- Ensures product operations customer quality goals per Customer Standard Operating Procedure (CSOP) at minimal cost to HWL through effective procurement and routing
- Meets volume and top line product revenue growth targets for assigned department
- Ensures product yield is within target range at both a customer level and in aggregate for assigned department
- Initiates and leads yield improvement process for business below or above target levels
- Authorizes product general and customer specific sell tariff and spot rates for assigned department and customers transacted within department superseded only by geographical or functional up-line
- In conjunction with senior management, peers, tender management, and sales measures, sells, and procures market competitive rates and services.
- Ensures all assigned employees are trained, certified, and re-certified periodically on product SOPs and Quality Management System
- Ensures all financial and quality controls and audits are completed accurately and on-time
- Holds team accountable for developing clear and concise CSOPs Customer Specific Operating document(s) and certifications.
- Consults with Account Management and Sales prior to their agreeing to non-standard services and/or pricing
- Trains and coaches sales and Account Management personnel on external market opportunities or threats, internal strengths and weaknesses, and how to effectively gain market share from HWL competitors on a case by case level or in aggregate
- Professionally manages customer escalations in conjunction with Account Management or Sales
- Performs role of product subject matter expert when communicating with customers in a variety of settings
- Leads or participates in corrective actions as necessary to mitigate the likelihood of revenue or profit loss when business is at risk
- Manages the quality of all product vendors and to ensure business continuity in the event a vendor is unable to perform
- Provides timely analysis to internal and external stakeholders as agreed with respect to assigned product and department
- Responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of product budgeting and forecasting within assigned product department
- Conducts regular employee performance review meetings and sets performance goals to drive employee development
- Monitors and manages staffing levels and workload allocation across all product teams within assigned department. This includes talent acquisition, furloughing, re-purposing, re-shifting, demotion, promotion, and severance
- Develops team and individuals within the team. Responsible for succession planning at agent, supervisor, and one’s own level
- Performs other duties as assigned
This position supervises employees and may supervise temporary employees from time to time based on projects.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (Business, Logistics and Supply Chain, Transportation, or associate field), or equivalent combination of education and work experience will be considered in lieu of educational requirement
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Five – Seven years of experience in a customs brokerage agent position
- Two years of prior experience in a supervisory role required
- Must have brokers license
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
- Financial acumen – understands business drivers
- Results-oriented – drives strategy and execution
- Leadership – demonstrates professionalism
- Organizational skills
- Time management and prioritization
- Adaptable / flexible to high-pressured environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Email, and Internet
- Proficient in world geography, shipping documentation, and Incoterms preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English in order to present information to customers, management, and subordinates in a professional setting
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as freight rates, discounts, and other percentages
- Analytical skills / problem-solving ability
- Coaching skills – able to train, coach, and develop subordinates
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Frequently required to stand, and walk
- Regularly required to sit for extended periods
- Regularly uses arms to reach, hands and fingers for computer and phone use
- Speaking clearly and listening for heavy phone contact
- Requires close-up and computer screen distance vision ability
- Requires overnight travel – 20 – 30%
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics are similar to those of an office setting with various office equipment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.