About the job
Our client is a multinational, dynamic freight logistics company with approximately 400 employees and growing, has international offices, as well as offices in key US cities. Established in 1965, our client has grown to more than 30 U.S. offices and 250 network locations in over 120 countries around the world.
The Operations Agent – Imports is experienced in both air and ocean transport. Responsibilities include all aspects of transportation, including communication with office/agent, customs and the client. Ensures quality follow-up of import shipments; communicates thoroughly both internally and externally.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare quotes for customers and agents using their Quotation system; negotiate rates with carriers; coordinate shipping arrangements.
- Coordinate and arrange shipping freight with their Overseas and US agents and partners.
- Handle all documents related to shipping freight, including: set up files for pre-alerts received, maintain customer updates, preparation of documents for Customs clearance, select and dispatch trucker, arrange delivery to customer, process payables and billing in their accounting system, check status on shipments, check PODs and charges, tracking cargo from origin to final destination, follow up shipments for final ETA date.
- Support and maintain the Quality System (ISO) by working closely with management, sales and/or operations to ensure goals and objectives are met with regard to the function(s) of this position.
- Ensure adherence to procedures for any issues of non-conformance that could or do directly affect the success of the Quality System.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Skills and Expertise
- Knowledge of freight forwarding with focus on air import operations.
- Good working knowledge Microsoft Office, with proficiency in Excel, Word and Outlook; freight forwarding software.
- Enthusiastic, positive and internally driven with a sense of urgency and “whatever-it-takes” attitude.
- Commitment to excellent customer service, in support of both external and internal customers, utilizing effective communication and follow-up skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment at all levels of the organization, or work independently with little or no supervision, to achieve results.
- Effective interpersonal skills that result in loyal, long-term customer relationships.
- Practical problem solving and decision-making skills
- 1-3 years experience in international logistics operations.
- 2 -3 years customer service experience.
- Minimum high school diploma or GED.
- Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the US.
- Medical-including Health Savings Account and Health Reimbursement Accounts
- Dental plan
- Life & AD&D
- Long Term Disability
- Company matching 401(k) and Roth K Plans
- Two weeks’ vacation, sick and personal time, floating holidays
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)